Sunday, January 12, 2014

Deer Island Open Space Preserve in Novato California

I recently visited Deer Island Open Space Preserve which is very close to where I work.  It is not really an island as the name may suggest.  It’s 154 acres that was an extension to the Petaluma River Delta. This was the first time visiting this open space.  While I was there I saw a male northern harrier, red tailed hawks, acorn woodpeckers, great white herons, mallard and coot ducks, as well as many other species of birds.  What was amazing was the deer super highways cutting their ways across the landscape.  I had never seen anything like it.  Amazing enough I didn’t see a deer while there but it was mid-afternoon.  It seems like the loops main traffic is runners and people out for walks with their dogs.  I will probably do an early morning walk here in the future before work to see what I can see – I am sure the wildlife is thriving here more when it’s early.    Click here for photos of this park. 

No comments:

Post a Comment